UK Immigration

Visit on business

You can visit the UK for up to 6 months to do the following business activities:

  • attend interviews, meetings, conferences and seminars
  • negotiate and sign deals and contracts
  • attend trade fairs to promote your business (you cannot sell things)
  • get work-related training if you’re employed overseas and the training is not available in your home country
  • give a one-off or short series of talks as long as they’re not for profit or a commercial event (you must not be paid)
  • carry out site visits and inspections
  • oversee the delivery of goods and services provided by a UK company to your overseas company or organisation
  • deliver training or share knowledge on internal projects with UK employees of the company you work for overseas
  • install, dismantle, repair, service or advise on equipment, computer software and hardware, if your overseas company has a contract with a UK company or organisation


  • check you meet the basic eligibility requirements for a Standard Visitor
  • check if you need a visa to visit the UK
  • apply for a Standard Visitor visa online – if you need one

Overseas job role

You can do certain additional activities in the UK as a Standard Visitor, if you’re employed overseas as:

  • An archaeologist
  • An artist, entertainer or musician
  • A bodyguard
  • A camera operator
  • A driver
  • An internal auditor
  • A journalist or correspondent
  • A lawyer or expert witness
  • A market researcher or analyst
  • A personal assistant
  • A professor from an overseas academic institution
  • A religious worker
  • A scientist or researcher
  • A sports person or sports official
  • A tour group courier
  • A translator or interpreter
  • A member of a film crew, including actors, producers, directors or technicians
  • A member of the production team supporting an artist, entertainer or musician
  • A member of technical staff supporting an artist, entertainer, musician or sports person

Check the Visitor Rules for details of what you can do as a Standard Visitor in these job roles.

If you want to work in the UK

You cannot do paid or unpaid work for a UK company or as a self-employed person as a visitor. You’ll need to apply for a work visa.

If you’re being paid by a UK organisation as an expert in your profession, you may get permission to visit the UK for a Permitted Paid Engagement.